Nick is a versatile trial lawyer with over 37 years of experience in the defense of lawsuits ranging from automobile cases, aviation cases, business torts, construction defects, professional liability claims involving architects, engineers, lawyers and doctors, insurance coverage disputes and extra-contractual claims, employment law cases, libel and slander cases; premises liability claims, product liability claims, toxic torts and trucking accidents.
Nick has tried over 200 cases in both State and Federal court. He has handled precedent setting cases for a number of years. In 1982 Nick became one of the youngest attorneys to achieve board certification in both Civil Trial Law and Personal Injury Law.
South Texas College of Law
Doctor of Jurisprudence, 1978
magna cum laude
Rutgers College, Rutgers University
Bachelor of Business Administration, 1973
Professional Honors and Activities:
- Board Certified Civil Trial Law and Personal Injury Law
- AV®Preeminent rated Attorney by Martindale-Hubbell
- State Bar of Texas
- Texas Pattern Jury Charge Committee on Negligence and Personal Injury Torts (2007-present)
- Past Chairman of Grievance Committee (1997-1998)
- Construction Litigation Section Member
- Insurance Section Member
- Litigation Section Member
- Houston Bar Association
- Life Fellow Houston Bar Association
- American Bar Association – member of numerous committees
- Defense Research Institute – member of numerous committees
- Licensed to Practice in all State Courts of Texas, 5th Circuit Court of Appeals, U.S. Supreme Court, and the Northern, Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of Texas
- Bar Association of the Fifth Federal Court
- Texas Super Lawyer – 2003 through 2011
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), 2013
"Cutting Edge Insurance Litigation Issues: Chinese Drywall to Privacy Claims,"
South Texas College of Law 14th Annual Insurance Law Symposium, January 2010
"An Update on Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage in Texas: Brainard and Other Cases of Interest,"
Journal of Texas Insurance Law, Vol. 8, No. 2, Spring 2007
“Update on Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage In Texas Insurance”
South Texas College of Law Insurance Law Symposium, January 2005
“Selecting and Presenting an Automobile Liability Case Defense Perspective”
South Texas College of Law, May/June 1999
“Practical Tips for Avoiding Grievances”
State Bar of Texas Advanced Personal Injury Trial Course, July 1998
"Dram Shop Liability"
State Bar of Texas, Advanced Personal Injury Trial Course, July 1996
"Asserting and Defending Privileges"
State Bar of Texas, January 1995
"Handling of Automobile Case"
South Texas College of Law, April 1992
"GMC v. Hopkins Abrogation of the Misuse Defense in Texas"
18 South Texas Law Journal 3, 1977